Thanks, Barnaby, for reminding us that many acts of selection run on
automatic pilot: one rounds up the usual suspects and declares the
result to be significant (or to have justified the funding). But is
this not true of "organizing" art events/exhibitions as well as
"curating" symposia? What concerns me is the proposal to substitute
terms of category (curating/organizing) for a value judgment
(thoughtful/mindless) or a labor hierarchy (person in charge/
secretary). I believe that even those of us who provided the
instructive examples of responsibilities that included selecting both
symposium speakers and art events can probably still distinguish
between them.

What is it that some of us feel is to be gained by abandoning our
responsibility to criticize something that is done poorly (not
bothering to seek out new ideas and new speakers) in favor of expanding
the territory covered by the term "curating"?

Cheers,

Marlena