> in discussion with pango, it was disclosed that resolution is not good
> indoors, apropos marc's comment.

http://www.gpster.net/where-fi-design.html
A free software version of that Pango can't apparently de even when
they charge for theirs, Where-Fi turns any Wi-Fi 802.11 deployment into
an infrastructure for location awareness.

WiFi node signal strengths are sampled over the geographical limits of
the project and these radiometric signatures are associated with a
geographic location. Where-Fi enabled clients can take signal samples
and compare them with the database to determine the geographical
location of the client.

> marc, etc, i am interested in comment re:  can we envision
>> the design for a system that can not, or will not be recuperated (by
>> large companies and goverments), 'cause, for example, it's just too
>> hard to control?
>
> i hope this is the case, i am not optimistic in u.s where. clear
> channel
> corporation currently owns well over half the nation's radio content.

Get this... in the US and Japan, there is a company --that shall remain
unnamed on this very public list-, that was just granted a patent for
what you are doing with 34n118w...

Email me personally and I'll tell you more or we can discuss it in
Manchester, you can do a search in the US patent bureau online to prove
it to yourself.

The definition they gave for their patent on a location-aware mobile
authoring system was, in fact, s-o-o-o broad, that technically, you and
anyone else who are setting-up a location-awareness installations in
the US can now be in breach of their patent.

> creepy shit. how did that happen?!

How do you like thems apples?