Dear Beryl and List

 As a small contribution to Beryl's question -
> Do we have examples of artists who transform data into knowledge?

I would suggest that all artists transform data into knowledge.  In support
of this, I would say that sensuous knowledge and conceptual knowledge offer
insights into the world that are as valuable as the knowledge produced in
science.  Also, I think that artists collect, analyse and synthesise all
sorts of data - qualitative and quantitative - within 'frameworks of
understanding' specific to art (but which constantly change).

I think data and knowledge are particularly relevant to art now for a number
of reasons, most of which, I would argue, focus on the different artistic
articulations of the so-called 'knowledge economy'.   For example,  what are
our artistic strategies when forms of knowledge (creativity, emotional,
sensuous knowledge) previously of little interest to industry become the
focus of the new economy?  What happens when it is not just the  object
produced through 'artistic knowing' that is commodified?  What happens when
it is the processes of artistic knowing that are most valued by the market -
not just the art market?

Kate
Kate Southworth
Glorious Ninth