The move from media to "behaviors," as it's been labeled here, seems to
be more a move toward contemporary art discourse. This seems tactical
if we're talking about longevity and continued funding for artists (or
cultural producer, or whatever) working with "New Media." It also
reflects the training and investments of some of the participants (in
the art world and the historical legacy it offers). How long will any
particular micro-technology be relevant? How much data is lost to
obsolescence (stranded on magnetic tape)? Art with a capital "A," while
under attack from multiple fronts in the US, at least has a track
record of being "relevant." A lot of this discussion seems very related
to the ones that took place around "post-studioism" - and other artists
working with various forms of performance (recombinant theater) and
discursive events. In this respect, Dietz's call for more inclusion in
media-based events makes total sense - if you're not being invited to
the table - why not do the inviting yourself. The "pinning of the
butterfly" is possibly an unavoidable condition when someone's looking
to make a career, but not one that you have to surrender to
indefinitely.
i've been working on an exhibition called YOUgenics that, because of
it's ideological and topical focus, isn't concerned with media
specificity or boundaries between different modes of working, and hence
includes works across the media spectrum. What have been others'
experiences dealing with such models (theme shows including digital and
analog works)?
thanks + take care,
ryan