I've been reading this thread with extreme interest, but haven't
contributed...
anyway, Patrick's comment brought up a thought for me as a follow up to
Josie's post about power and the general concern about who these
classifications/definitions serve.
Both Smithson and Bierstadt served similar interests in their
representations - the mining industry.
So i guess i'm suggesting that the scope of concern expand beyond the
insular and minute concerns of avant garde production.
New Media as a term is certainly not the exclusive property of the
high-cultural sector.
ryan