This conversation is getting really meaty.

Let's consider one thing.
Sooner or later, _someone_ is going to create a classification that will
stick in the history books, regardless of how distasteful that might
sound.  It might take 5 years, 20, or 100, but it will happen, and
eventually we will all be quite dead, and unable to object.

Power and control - I have no answer to this, but will we as
technological artists (note I'm not using NM, as I'm talking more
broadly), come to some social contract regarding our own
taxonomies/classifications, or Powers forbid, announce a 'Movement'?  In
this project, there will have to be a lot of negotiation and compromise
if we are to define ourselves (hopefully quite broadly).  If not, the
'we' who are historians and curators will classify the technological
genres in the artists' stead.

I know several historians who are in the gates getting ready to do just
this.  And when they publish, that's that, or at least as more of them
publish, it will become more of a fait accompli.  The pin will be
through the thorax of the butterfly.

Some of you may object to this, and to an extent, so do I.  However,
this is historiography, and are we going to be Smithsons or Bierstadts
(shaping the terrain, or masterfully representing it)?

Patrick Lichty
Editor-In-Chief
Intelligent Agent Magazine
http://www.intelligentagent.com