Dear List,

I'm just back from the Futuresonic conference, and full of
impressions that might inform the discussion - I'd like to thank all
the people this month who helped to make it one of more successful
themes, and to stress that people are very very welcome to carry on
the debate for as long as they have the desire to (our next theme
doesn't start until June).

To start with, one key theme from the conference that springs to mind is:

CONTEXT, and CONTROL: The works ran the whole gamut of being very
fixed to a particular geography and context, to being rootless and
international. And yet ... a highlight of the artworks for me was
Akitsugu Maebayashi's piece "Sonic Interface".  This involves
wandering anywhere with a backpack and headphones/microphones on, and
with a companion.  The piece distorts the ambient sound in various
simple but effective ways, from a delay which renders verbal
communication gormless, to stranger effects which make the Arndale
Centre a place to do the audio equivalent of standing and staring.
So, this was not made for a local context, or site-specific in any
way, and yet elegantly manages to make you examine accents and
location in a critical way. It does not use GPS or respond to
location (the effects simply change over time), but you are free to
wander where you will, and unexpected things could happen.

This very open system could be contrasted with more closed system of
'command and control' games (such as Blast Theory, who got rather
blasted with criticism for failing to differ enough from commercial
games and values).  Here, movements and even human interaction were
highly tracked and manipulated.  Here, the context was highly
relevant, but to attempt to control that context can be either
quixotic or sinister.

So, can/should you control context?

yours,

Beryl

Beryl Graham
Research Fellow in New Media, University of Sunderland
Tel: +44 191 515 2896     email:  [log in to unmask]
CRUMB web resource for curators http://www.newmedia.sunderland.ac.uk/crumb/