>Sorry for the delayed response to the postings by Simon and Myron
>(I'm on digest).  While I can understand the pressures faced by
>Agricola who has maintained his own site over the years, while
>creating exciting work, I'm not sure I'd rush onto the train of
>depression.

I've been involved with a number of initiatives lately that suggest
continuing production within the broad realm of net.art, particularly
if we understand it in the broadest sense, which, of course, could
also include mobile art projects.  And if we were to consider the
efforts of collaborative net.art sites, such as CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA
(http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu), low-fi (www.low-fi.org), or
mobilegaze (www.mobilegaze.org) that present internet art within the
context of crucial social and cultural issues impacting the net and
virtual communication, we might recognize less of a net.art ghetto
than the presentation and celebration of art projects that capitalize
on the flexibility and communicational extensivess of the web.  The
similar aim of other initiatives, such as a new one being launched by
Mute, is to launch and present new net.art projects in the broader
spectrum of what Tom Corby refers to as "network art," perhaps an
"expansion" of what's been known in other contexts as "public art."

Still, recognizing that some artists will migrate from the web for
various reasons, I'm making the archivization of net.art projects,
having been taken or soon to be taken off-line, one of the priorities
of the Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art at Cornell.   Since
we're now refining the infrastructure of this emergent archive, we're
able to consider many formulas for achieving this--initially
maintaining off-line files of works available for on-site research in
the Archive (we're working on getting the Archive up and running for
public consultation within the next few months), but perhaps a
partnering with folks such as Agricola for continued online access to
works previously available on his site (were it to go off-line). I'd
be interested to hear from anyone with ideas about this archivization
challenge, either via this listserve or privately.

Best,

Tim

--
Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

office: 607-255-4012
e-mail: [log in to unmask]