This is a message forwarded from Jacob Lillemose

---------

I am glad this topic came up on the list. Especially, because I, like
many of you, am quite ambivalent about the term "new media art". I
agree with Florian Cramer when he says that nothing is as old as "new
media". "New" is a general and relative prefix that I think does not
make very much historical or theoretical sense. In my work I prefer
the broad but at the same time less ambiguous and more precise
category or term "digital art" to describe the field as such as this
is one characteristic that distinguishes it from earlier art forms
and to conceive sub-categories like "internet art", "software art",
"interactive art" and so on as important discursive fields within
this field. To me the question whether a work is "internet art" or
"software art" is of less importance (since it is often impossible to
answer categorically without running into paradoxes or just stating
the obvious) than opening up the works by discussing the different
aesthetic dimensions and themes in them, whether they are formal,
ethical, visual or conceptual. The recent Read_me festival is a good
example of how a highly ambiguous category or term like "software
art" or maybe more precisely "software aesthetics" can generate a
very relevant discourse, theoretically as well as historically. It
creates discoursive not nominal concepts, i.e. new ways of analytic
and conceptual thinking (which over time will qualify the works).
Software art is in one sense just another way of saying digital art
but at the same time it allows a sharp focus on the software as a
means of artistic practice. Thus I see "software art" as more of an
open/inclusive aesthetic discourse filled with analytical tools than
as an exclusive category of works; a discourse in which more precise
and elaborate meanings can be assigned to a number of works that for
instance the discourses around net.art or computer art are not
capable of. The same works can naturally be approached from other
discursive angles. And they should be. Compared to traditional art
forms like painting and sculpture this is a fundamental aspect of
digital art: It cannot be reduced to a question of medium. (Another
reason why I think "new media art" is a problematic term.) And
furthermore: Digital art retrospectively challenges our conception of
medium-specific aesthetics. Categories are relevant and necessary but
as dynamics of connection not as frames of enclosure. They need to
work from the singular to the multiple, from the inside and out, not
from the outside and in. From this point of view, the establishment
of super specific sub-sub-sub-categories distorts and reduces the
discussion (the aesthetic and critical perspective), and in the end
only the insiders of the digital art community know how and why these
categories are made. And they become means of power (control and
suppression) as Josephine Berry notices in her posting (art as well
as political history proofs that), both in relation to the art works
and to the discourse. I completely agree with Josephine that this is
an aspect that deserves critical reflection. Especially, because
there is a strong tendency not just to accept categories but to hype
them. "New Media Art" seems like a natural place to start.

Of course, this discussion also contains an important strategical
institutional dimension. I often hear Danish museum directors ask for
a list of categories because it would make them feel more comfortable
with digital art; it frames digital art in accordance with the
principles of non-digital art. However, I think they misunderstand
the challenges and do themselves an unintentional disservice. Digital
art demands new ways of for institutional thinking about art works
both in terms of curating and preservation; it's difficult, sure, but
also a chance for the institution to develop. At the same time, I
believe that the aesthetic discourse that the directors already know
can connect to digital art works. Contrary to what the question of
categorization implicitly is indicating they do not need to know a
lot about technology to begin with to discuss these works.

What it boils down to in my view is that we should begin to discuss
what the works of digital art are about, what themes are at work, to
practice as Geoff Cox suggests. Not least because this will help to
establish frutiful connections to the non-digital art world and
hopefully make it possible to see digital art works exhibited next to
non-digital art works in the near future.

Jacob Lillemose