James makes some very valid points - the dress (and faith) is of the person
not the individual; it is meanspirited at the very least to refuse the
support of spirituality to a service user when an individual service
provider has that insight.

That is a dry way of putting it - and we have very good evidence that
spirituality - or 'religion' - is important in health care. My centre was
commissioned to conduct a critical review of the research in this field, and
were left with no doubt that by discriminating against certain religions (or
indeed any) one was adversly potentially affecting a significant number of
client/patients - support in faith can be medically justified as well as
being 'palliative'. This is perhaps better established in the ostensibly
secular United States of America - but that's life.

'Faith, Prayer, and Religious Observances' Clinical Cornerstone 6,1 :17-24
2004

Oh yes, and the Hijab etc - I cannot help but observe that in contemporary
Leicester the current fashion in burkas, hijab or whatever seems almost
identical (to a non-fashion attuned person) to the brown or black habits
worn by medical nuns in my youth - and as we began our review by noting, the
origin of hospitals was, as I recall, in the provision of care by the
religious......