Conservation of buildings is a real problem. The ideal is of course to
preserve an engine house "as it was", but finding funds to do that and
subsequently maintain the site is not easy.  By contrast, conversion to a
house presumably makes a profit for the developer and ensures the
building's medium-term survival, albeit perhaps as no more than a
facade. The key is really as David said; sympathetic change. Whilst
conversion is not idea, if a local authority conservation officer is involved
in the process and ensures as many original features as possible are
kept, it may be the least worst option for a building.

David Poyner.