I have been sent an item through the mail with a challenge to figure out
what it is. My father in law sent it with only one hint.."Its from the
hills of Pennsylvania.".

He was a strip miner where he lived, Clymer PA, and he is a civil war buff.
My Initial impression was that this item was a cannon ball.

            3 1/4" inch in diameter
            Weight: 12-15 lb
            Its Rusted and has small 1" long  symmetrical grooves about16th
            of an inch deep at a 45 degree angle down facing each other in
            2 places on the surface. These are faint, but you can see them
            in good light.

Because its steel, I believe its a ball bearing of some type. Does
equipment exist in the realm of strip mining that would require a ball
bearing of this size?

I realize this is vague, thank you for any information/time in advance.