Interesting discussion on miner's helmets.   How were lamps
Richard Smith
3M UK Bracknell,
Environment, Safety and Security       [log in to unmask]
Tel:  01344-858154 (Trim. 8-230-2154)
Fax:  01344-858367 (Trim. 8-230-2367)

                      JOB Barry
                      <[log in to unmask]>       To:       [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by:                   cc:
                      mining-history             Subject:  Re: Head Protection in UK Mines.
                      <mining-history@JISC
                      MAIL.AC.UK>

                      08/03/2004 09:51
                      Please respond to
                      "The mining-history
                      list."

Whilst i have never heard of helmets being left at the coal face, on the
"ratch"  with the tools, it was certainly the case that a few miners who
wore a helmet underground would be embarassed about wearing one when
walking across the surface.  Thus it was not unknown for men to hide
them around the headgear (or leave them in the safekeeping of the
banksman) and only wear them whilst down the mine.  When I began working
underground in the early 1960s it was certainly the case that all the
men wore helmets, although there was no standardisation.  Many men,
especially those who worked underground only occasionally, such as some
of the surveyors, wore the old lacquered pressed cardboard type.  Others
(if I remember correctly) appeared to be made of lacquered fabric, and
later ones were fibreglass.  Especially desirable were French
Shaftsman's helmets (I have no idea where they obtained these) which
looked like something from the 100 years war. This sounds like a topic
for further research!
             Barry Job.

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and
any attachment from your computer.