In message <008901c4d30f$9e0144f0$6b00a8c0@davidh>, David Hardwick
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>The name Hewitt also appears as a manager at the Coal Pit Heath Collieries
>and also in connection with other mining items in the Bristol area
>
>It is not an uncommon surname so there may not be a connection but it seems
>a strange co-incidence
>
>Regards
>
>David

Hewitt was also a common name in the collieries of Chesterfield and
district.

I can offer you the following:
a)      G. Hewitt of the Walton Hall Colliery selling coals in May 1861
b)      A carter of Messrs. Hewitt, Bunting, and Company, of the Walton
Works, was killed in September 1861
c)      George Hewitt said - I am manager of Messrs. Appleby, at their
ironstone pits, at Walton. (Theft case July 1862)
d)      Mr. Hewitt of the Hill Top Colliery prosecuted an absentee
collier, September 1863
e)      Mr. Hewitt, mining engineer, offered to sort the drains of
Brampton churchyard out, 1866
f)      Mr. Hewitt, the manager of the Unstone Coal and Coke Company's
colliery, conceded a wage rise, 1882
g)      Three member of the Hewitt family killed in the Clay Cross
disaster, 1882
h)      W.M. Hewitt signed the advert calling for a public subscription
after the Clay Cross disaster, 1882
i)      Mr. Hewitt of Chesterfield and Mr. Hewitt of Brampton were
present at the meeting.

I can offer you 6 Hewitt's who were members of the Chesterfield
Institute of Mining Engineers.

a)      George Hewitt, of the Unstone Colliery, near Chesterfield.
Elected member of the Chesterfield Institute, 22-04-1871. Member of the
Institute, 1872 to 1890. Councillor of the Institute, 1880 to 1883, 1885
to 1889. Vice-President of the Institute, 1889 to 1890. Listed as
Certified Manager No. 1023 in the Inspector's Report. Issued 25-04-1873
on Service. Listed as at Unstone Colliery, 1878 to 1882. Listed as
manager of Hundall Colliery, Unstone in 1874.
b)      John Richardson Hewitt, Mineral Surveyor, 15 Victoria Terrace,
Macklin Street, Derby. By 1875 was at Midland Road, Derby. Elected
Member of the Chesterfield Institute, 06-01-1872. Member of the
Institute, 1872 to 1878.
c)      Thomas Hewitt, Colliery Manager, Heage Colliery, Belper. Elected
member of the Chesterfield Institute, 05-04-1873. Member of the
Institute, 1874 to 1877. A Thomas Hewitt listed as Certified  Manager
No. 1509 in the Inspector's Reports. Issued 02-06-1873 on Service.
Listed as Not Acting, 1878 to 1882. A Thomas Hewitt listed as manager of
Ambergate Colliery, Ambergate in 1874.
d)      William Hewitt. Colliery Proprietor, Dronfield, Sheffield. By
1882 at Manor House, Dronfield, Sheffield. Elected member of the
Chesterfield Institute, 03-08-1880. Member of the Institute, 1881 to
1884. Ceased to be a Member, 1884-5.
e)      Tom Parker Hewitt. Mining Student, Nunnery Colliery Offices,
Sheffield. By 1884 at Unstone Main Colliery, Sheffield. By 1886 at
Aldwarke Main Colliery, Rotherham. Student member of the Chesterfield
Institute. Elected Member, 13-01-1883. Full Member of the Institute,
26-03-1886. Member of the Institute, 1883 to 1890.
f)      Henry Richardson Hewitt. Mining Student, Sycamore Villa,
Uttoxeter Road, Derby. By 1890 at London Road, Derby. Student Member of
the Chesterfield Institute. Elected Member, 19-04-1884. Member, 1885 to
1890.

Hope this is of interest.
--
David Williams