Rifles were in use from the 16th century onwards, but were fairly uncommon
until the 18th century, and only became really possible as mass-produced
weapons with the creation of modern machinery in the Industrial Revolution.
'Rifle' seems to be first recorded as a verb for cutting the grooves in a
gun barrel, in 1635.
My suspicion is that 'rifle range' is a modern term for a phenomenon that
goes back long before the rifle, or even (probably) guns. The term which is
probably more likely to reflect target ranges is 'butts', and certainly it
is still in use for open-air gun (and archery?) ranges. I assume that many
of these older archery ranges were simply developed further as gun ranges,
and that it is in the period from the Boer War to the first World War that
there is a real upsurge in rifle ranges, when adults were actively
encouraged to use fire-arms as a means of developing a skilled pool for
purposes of warfare.
It might be worth contacting the NSRA and the NRA. The Queen's Cup at Bisley
began in 1860, so there must have been lots of users and ranges already in
existence then.
So it may be worth looking into 'butts' (or 'butt'?) to find early examples
of shooting ranges.
> Malcolm J Watkins, BA, AMA, MIFA
> Strategic Cultural Manager
> Culture, Learning and Leisure
>

> Gloucester City Council       T   01452 396650
> Herbert Warehouse             F   01452 396622
> The Docks             E   [log in to unmask]
> Gloucester,  GL1 2EQ  www.gloucester.gov.uk
>

> ----------

DISCLAIMER

This message is intended for the recipient only and may contain
privileged information.

If you are not the addressee, or you have received it in error, you may
not copy, disclose, print, or deliver this message to anyone. Should this
be the case, please delete this message, and inform the sender of your
action by reply e-mail.

Gloucester City Council does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of
information in this message, and any views expressed are not necessarily
the views of Gloucester City Council.

Gloucester City Council does not accept any responsibility for any
disruption or loss to your data or computer systems that may occur whilst
using any program or document attached to this message.

You are advised not to send confidential or sensitive information by
e-mail, as the  security of the site cannot be guaranteed.