Women’s Health, Society and Culture Seminar Series 2004

20/10/04 Wednesday 12.30 - 14.00

Framing the fetus in medical work: representations, rituals and practices

Clare Williams, Senior Research Fellow, School of Nursing and Midwifery, King’s College London, [log in to unmask]

Are perceptions of the fetus shifting with new reproductive and genetic technologies? How is the fetus envisaged, imagined, defined, and by whom? For a number of years the contested status of the fetus has lain at the intersection of reproductive, abortion and disability politics. Arguably, the use of images, visualisation techniques and innovative medical procedures have focused our attention more firmly on the fetus than ever before. Though factors affecting the attribution of personhood are not fixed, it could be seen that the practices and rituals which impact on notions of personhood are increasingly being extended to the fetus – for example, they are ‘seen’, sexed, named, spoken to and about, and treated.

In this paper, perceptions of the fetus will be explored primarily through the perspectives of health practitioners, because of their powerful role in constructing the present and future fetus. Practitioners will be seen to have contrasting, sometimes conflicting ways of thinking about  the fetus depending on, for example, their professional background or their stake in this area. Rather than explore the concept of fetal personhood from a philosophical perspective, I hope to highlight the contexts out of which such questions arise, and just as importantly, those from which they do not. I will also draw attention to some of the potential ethical an clinical dilemmas these issues pose for practitioners.

Room 1.14, Waterloo Bridge Wing, Franklin-Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, SE1 8WA

Everyone is welcome to attend meetings which are free and open to the public

Nearest tube and rail: Waterloo - www.kcl.ac.uk/maps/waterloo.html

For further information: see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nursing/seminar.html

Please contact Caroline Kirby-Smith on 020 7848 3023 or [log in to unmask]

Dr  Jane Sandall
Professor of Midwifery and Women's Health
Women & Family Health Research Group,
King's College, Waterloo Bridge Wing,
Franklin-Wilkins Building,
150 Stamford Street,