A journalist following up the following story has asked me about data on the subject and I have emailed the Italians who were involved in the peristat project. I have already told her that according to data contributed to peristat the caesarean rate in Italy in 1998 was 30.8 per cent. I am now asking if anyone knows anything about the wider aspects of the story or indeed if you have data about use of epidurals in Italy. It looks like they aren't used for caesareans, unlike in the UK.

The story:
The writer said that only 4% of women are given epidurals during labour, partly because there is little use of epidurals for cultural/religious reasons, and partly because few clinicians are trained to administer, particularly in public hospitals.

She also said that the caesarean rate in Italy is 30%, which you have confirmed.

The news peg was that a female Democrat MP, Beatrice Magnolfi, has introduced a Motion into the lower house of the Italian Parliament aimed at giving women better access to epidurals.  I have put in calls to Sra Magnolfi but not managed to speak to her in peson yet.

Alison Macfarlane
Department of Midwifery
City University
20 Bartholomew Close