We are using the platform "Blackboard" for our postgraduate midwifery
programme at Otago Polytechnic in New Zealand.

We are now finishing our second year and offer a 2 paper postgraduate
certificate in midwifery and a further 2 papers for a postgraduate Diploma
in Midwifery.

This learning vehicle has enabled really isolated rural midwives to become
involved in postgraduate study. It is a complex process learning how to
adapt programmes for on line teaching.

The requirement of regular small pieces of assessment and compulsory on-line
discussion exercises staggered through the course seems to  keep students
steadily working. Otherwise, they seem to think that they can whip through
the course on a rainy day! At postgraduate level students should be expected
to be able to carry out a complex and detailed discussion on a contentious
issue with others and defend or elaborate on their position.

Good luck with your programme.

Dr Chris Hendry
Senior lecturer
School of Midwifery