Dear Marianne and listmembers,

Fascinating thread - this conversation regarding rectal examination and
observation of women in labour to determine progress.  I have two
aspects to contribute.

In my own first labour (1970)  the midwife (large tertiary training
hospital in Sydney NSW) said to me, "I'll just look how you are doing?"
and then did a rectal examination - I was so shocked and clearly
remember thinking "what am I doing here? They don't even know which hole
to look in!"

The other is that during my midwifery ' training'  early 70's
(Adelaide, SA) no one did VE's or PR's, (except private obstetricians
and that's a whole different story) we had to observe (all the women
were on the bed) and be able to tell when someone needed moving to the
second stage rooms and then the women were only ' allowed'  to push when
the head was on view.   I didn't do one VE nor PR the whole of my
training.  It was only when I went to other hospitals and other states
and " it was expected"  that I learnt through trial and error how to do
VE's.  That too is a whole story in itself - gaining confidence and
competence in VE's and then, after a few years of active VE'ing along
with active management of labour,  I gave up " doing"  them altogether,
(unless a woman particularly requests one/needs to know where she is
'at'  or labour is not progressing according to the way the woman's
behaviour is demonstrating she is progressing - if you know what I mean)
- back to observation of the woman's signs and behaviours!

Margaret Duff is in NZ - her documentation of labour behaviour is
fascinating and very useful for validating midwifery work - making the
invisible visible. She is presenting her research at the Keeping Birth
Normal conference in Brisbane, Australia run by CAPERS 12th June 04.

smiling, thinking of the wheels turning...

Carolyn Hastie
Midwifery Educator
John Hunter Hospital
Newcastle, NSW