Dear Colleagues
I am a midwife researching women's experiences of emergency
caesarean section. In the UK an emergency caesarean is broadly
defined as one that was performed during labour / was not planned
(although sub-categories are recommended when documenting the
urgency of the procedure, described in recent guidance:
www.nice.org.uk/CG013fullguidline).
However, when reading the literature around emergency caesarean,
it is clear that there are international differences regarding how this
mode of delivery is defined. It would be really helpful if colleagues
around the world could enlighten me in terms of how "emergency
caesarean" is defined where you work. If you know of any literature
that debates the definition, I would be really interested to have the
reference.
many thanks

Helen Baston
Lecturer/Researcher