I agree with Andrew that the timing of the question is vital. Earlier work
in Sweden (Areskog et al.  Gynecol Obstet Invest 1983; 2: 102-8) showed that
as many as 6 % of women were so afraid of childbirth that it affected their
daily lives. I don't know how many of these "demanded" a c.section but my
guess was that only a few went that far.
So your question may be better answered, Else, if you  weight it more
towards societal changes and fear of childbirth rather that demand for
c.section.
You might also consider the rise in epidural during labour and what the
connection to fear/societal changes might be.
Linda.