Surely the Library being dispersed is the  worst of all possible worlds. I think we should campaign  for the British Library to take it over lock stock and barrel. I used to use it reasonably often but then the access  rules were changed.  If they are short of readers that may be why !!
                      PDH

-----Original Message-----
From: Promoting discussion in the science studies community
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Peter Rowlands
Sent: 15 September 2004 10:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Science Museum library

It's not the best solution, and doesn't address the serious shortfall in
funding things of cultural importance in our society - it may even be the
thin end of the wedge - but, as a temporary solution, to keep things going,
if people paid 0.50 or 1.00 for consulting the Library, that would just
cover the cost. Is this possible? 200,000 seems a relatively negligible sum
for such a vast resource.