Dear colleagues

Thanks very much to everyone who has participated so far in the 24 Hour Museum 2004 survey of sector web stats. We're very keen to get as many institutions involved as possible, so if you keep records of your website statistics but have not yet taken part in the survey, we'd love to hear from you!

Please complete the short questionnaire at the bottom of the intro email below and return it to mailto:[log in to unmask] by 30 September.

The final survey will be circulated to all those who took part, and published on the 24 Hour Museum website.
Thanks, Jane

24 Hour Museum sector web stats survey 2004

Last year, the 24 Hour Museum undertook its second survey of web statistics for UK cultural websites. The final versions of this survey is available as a downloadable pdf from our website:

2003: http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/etc/formuseums/TXT21448_gfx_en.html
2002: http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/etc/formuseums/TXT17762_gfx_en.html

The surveys make very interesting reading and have generated a lot of interest from the sector. Very little information of this type is being collected and shared and many people have requested from us details about how to measure the success of their websites and online resources.

The 24 Hour Museum have decided to carry out another survey this year, looking at the same six months as in 2003, in order to get comparable results. The performance indicators are drawn from the NOF guidelines plus one extra one we have added.

If you keep records of your website statistics, we would extremely grateful if you would help us by taking the time to complete the short questionnaire at the bottom of this email and return it to us by 30 September. We are hoping to collate and compare results from a wide variety of museums and galleries - large and small, regional and national.

We would like to share our findings within the Museums & Galleries sector, but if you would prefer us to keep your information confidential, we will of course keep your response anonymous. The final survey will be circulated to all those who took part, and published on the 24 Hour Museum website.

Please get in touch if you have any questions. Thanks very much for your help, we look forward to hearing from you.

24 Hour Museum Sector Web Statistics Survey: 1st January to 30th June 2004

Name of your Institution:

Please complete the five categories below with figures for the six months of 1st January to 30th June 2004 wherever possible. If statistics are only available for part of this period, please mark the period these refer to. Where information is not available please just leave your answer blank.

1. Total number of user / visitor Sessions
2. Average duration of user session
3. Total number of page impressions
4. Average page impressions per user session
5. Total number of unique users

Are you happy for 24 Hour Museum to share this information with museum & gallery sector partners?

Thanks for your help!

Please return your completed from to mailto:[log in to unmask]