Wow, that was strong. You make some sensible points, but a bit too
technically led, probably?
I mean:

> http://www.takeonepicture.org:
> Tiny default text size. Did anyone actually try viewing the site with
> larger-sized text before it was launched? It makes a bit of a dog's
> breakfast of the site, and actually makes it harder to read.

Very good point. It should work. But it does work well if you totally
disable the CSS. Not sure if it is really a problem.

> Perhaps a visit to the validator would be in order too. There's a lot
> of missing ALT attributes.

Not that many, in reality. Yes, a validator would fire a lot of errors,
but the missing ones are on spacers, for which is rather pointless to
have ALT's. Actually it make things more confusing. It's always a
problem when a machine reads and pretends to comment on something that
was created for humans. Accessibility is not a technical feature, it's
a design one, I believe.

> Microdot default text size again. Why should I _have_ to resize the
> text to maximum just to get it back to IE's (relatively comfortable)
> default size? Try text at 'largest' here:
> <http://www.takeonepicture.org/nesw/general.aspx?itemid=1>

That's taste, I guess. Verdana 10px is perfectly legible, if not, you
can set your monitor resolution to 800x600 and the site works
beautifully at that scale.

> alt="spacer", alt="divider" --incredible! No, not incredible, what's
> the word, oh yes: incompetent.

Yes, that could be better. Leave them out completely, but then your
validator would complain.

> Missing closing </li> tags (not allowed in XHTML).
> Lots and lots of 'click here'.
> Using styles instead of structural mark-up (<div class="title">).

That's bad.

> There's more, but there's a limit to how much I'm willing to type...is
> this yet more public money spent on sites that can't get the HTML
> basics right? And don't get me started on the fixed-width design...

Yes, I wouldn't start. What's exactly wrong with it?

I would think again. There is a lot of work and effort into it, to just
dismiss it superfically like that. There is MUCH worse around.

PS I have had nothing to do with the design of this site.

Kind regards, Cristiano

Cristiano Bianchi
keepthinking ltd

tel.            +44(0)20 7346 0305