Thanks for this, Leonard - useful stuff.

The 2% I quoted was not an actual IE figure meant to be taken literally but
meant as you say here as an off the cuff "people whose view of the site
might be seriously compromised" figure...

For information, the core Science Museum website (www.sciencemuseum.org.uk)
shows

IE 6.x          59.05%
IE 5.x          20.37%
                        ------
                        79.24%

Mozilla         2.32%
NN7.x                   0.88%
NN4                     0.64%
Opera                   0.49%
Safari 85.x             0.21%

I'm sure many of you have seen this, but there is an interesting browser
emulator here:

http://www.dejavu.org/emulator.htm

Takes you back...

Mike