As tourism reference librarians, some of you may find the following articles and resources of interest. If not, let me know and I shall cease and desist.....am responding to Ruth Mitchell's efforts to coax "lurkers" out of the fog.

"Afghanistan: Can Tourism be Revived?", Geoff Hann,  Islamic Tourism (of London), Issue 12, JUL-AUG 2004,  p.8+ (7 pages); "Afghanistan has disappeared from the tourist map because of wars and unrest. But what chances has it in making a come back? And what are its tourist attractions?"

"The Potential for Ecotourism in Uzbekistan",  Eric Sievers,  Aridlands, #43, Spring/Summer 1998, 7pp.; "Nature-oriented tourism is not new in Uzbekistan. However, if ecotourism is defined as tourism structured to facilitate the objectives of conservation and/or sustainable development, then there is no history of ecotourism in Uzbekistan."

"Health Tourism in Egypt: Treatment and Fun",  Mushera El-Fishawy,
Islamic Tourism (of London), Issue 12,  JUL-AUG 2004, p.26+  ("Health tourism has grown considerably throughout the world and in Egypt in particular."

"Tourism in Libya: We're Developing it our Way!", Islamic Tourism Weekly News Bulletin (London),  15 JAN 2004,  2 pages; Interview with the tourism minister. (note: I found this item fascinating)

"Coral Reefs at Risk: Trade and Tourism in the Red Sea, and its Threat to the Environment", Yossi Nasser, TED Case Studies #669, 2003, 12 pages.

"'Perfectly Adapted" Village is a Perfect Place to see",  Tim Homyak,  Kyodo News on the Web,  30 May 2004, 2 pages; "Tucked away in the pine-clad mountains of central Japan, the farming community of Shirakawa is one of the few rural areas in the country where travelers may find themselves doing a double-take over the lack of convenience stores, neon signs and pachinko parlors."

If you would like more mini-biblios, I would be happy to oblige--but you will have to say so or I shall fade away into lurker status again.

Jeanne Gay
Tourism Resources & Reviews