UKeIG (UK eInformation  Group): For further details about the Group and membership contact: Christine Baker, The Old Chapel, Walden, West Burton, Leyburn, North Yorkshire DL8 4LE

Tel & Fax: 01969 663749
Email:

News from UKeIG: 6th day of November 2004: For immediate release

UKOLUG becomes UKeIG

 The Group’s name has changed.  The membership passed a motion at the 26th UKOLUG AGM (8th June 2004) to change the groups’ name to UKeIG (UK eInformation Group), and now CILIP Council have approved this name change.

Gary Horrocks, the Chair of UKeIG commented,

 “UKeIGs’ focus has increasingly become the accessibility, use and management of electronic information,

whether on the Internet, in online databases, on CD-ROM or via corporate networks and intranets.

We are constantly evolving - in tune with the electronic information environment in the United Kingdom

and further afield.”

Looking forward to the future he added:

“We are already planning one of our most extensive meetings and training programme with events in preparation

 covering Copyright, e-books, internet searching and topic based events such as Pharmaceutical and European

Information.  This is a great time for those who haven’t used our services before to benefit from UKeIG.”

UKeIG continues to offer a wide and dynamic range of expertise and services to electronic information users

as individuals or organisations, including a discussion list, awards, advocacy and an informative website

for e-information professional.  In the last year this website (www.ukolug.org.uk) has been updated with

exciting additions including the increasingly popular factsheets on topics such as ‘How to Block Pop-Ups’

and ‘Dealing with Spyware’

The UK eInformation Group is set to be unveiled at Online Information 2004 (Olympia Grand Hall London

November 30-December 2) as part of an exciting new phase for the professional group founded in 1978 to

provide support for users of the then new online information retrieval services.   Those interested in joining

or finding out more about the group can meet UKeIG committee members on Stand 203 at that event.

Press Contact:           Rob Hughes, UKeIG Committee, PR and Marketing

                                  Email: [log in to unmask]

Notes to Editors

UKeIG (UK eInformation) Group - is a professional body for users and developers of electronic

information resources.  Through its activities, UKeIG actively encourages communication and the

exchange of knowledge among users of electronic information resources. The Group offers an

annual training programme that provides affordable and practical workshops and seminars.

These are open to both members and non-members, but there are discounted rates for members.

Members of the Group also receive a bi-monthly printed newsletter and exclusive access to the

electronic journal, eLucidate.  UKeIG is a Special Interest Group of CILIP: the Chartered Institute

of Library and Information Professionals. Registered Charity no. 313014

- Ends -