"perhaps also now would be a good time for an article in Update (also to
be made available on the website) on "How CILIP works and what it
actually does"

I completely agree!  I am a chartership candidate and I do often wonder why I am going through the whole process as I have no incentive with my current employer to do so.  I am also aware of several colleagues (at higher rates of pay) who have voted with their feet and left CILIP as they feel that they receive no benefit for their monetary outlay.

I am at the beginning of my career having qualified just over a year ago and am concerned about the quality/usefulness of some of the accredited LIS courses from an employer's point of view (having been on an LIS course that failed to spend any time on cataloguing and classification).  I have contacted CILIP regarding this and had no response - this doesn't exactly instil confidence that the organisation is listening to its members.

It would be great if we were all able to be involved in branches and groups and work to change things but I'd like to know where I'm supposed to get the time - working in a small public authority I certainly can't use work time.  We all have lives - for some of us adding in something else isn't possible.

Catherine makes an excellent point - we know that National Councillors etc are on the list and are therefore aware of ongoing discussions - its time for some of them to get together and respond to the issues being raised in a way that will provide useful and relevant information for all members and Update is the best way to do this.  Alternatively - perhaps we could have a member satisfaction questionnaire - how do we rate CILIP and what are our issues (with several options).  This could go out with Update and at least provide some concrete data to work with.

Email Disclaimer - East Lothian Council
the sender and ensure it is deleted and not read copied or disclosed
to anyone else. It is your responsibility to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects. East Lothian
Council do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may
result from this email or any files attached. Email is not secure and
can be intercepted, corrupted or amended without the knowledge of the
sender. East Lothian Council do not accept liability for errors or
omissions arising as a result of interrupted or defective transmission.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com