  From: Ed Cole
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 4:52 PM
  Subject: Re: Cilip is a member led organisation is it?

  Well said,  Bert !

  I remember reading on a CILIP list that some members no longer criticised because they were afraid of being victimised.  On the subscriptions increases, I am totally unconvinced by the CILIP arguments. I think that we need to get to the absolute root of the matter as a letter to Update mentioned, i.e. contact the Charities Commission to audit the finances.  Systems may now be in place but previous financial management or lack of it , as the case may be, should be scrutinised by the Charities Commission who would no doubt discover excellent past and present practice.

  Ed

  Bert Washington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    If all senior staff/employees of Cilip are members then indeed it can be
    called 'a member led organisation', however there doesn't seem to be a great
    deal of evidence to support the idea that senior Cilip management are indeed
    member led or consider that this is the case. As an example: Over the last
    few years there have been numerous discussions on both the Workplace and
    Solo lists, some of which have included formal representation and feedback
    to Cilip by members. A number of times members have made proposals,
    including several requests for better information flows from Cilip about
    what they are doing regarding proposals about the way Cilip is run, plus a
    number of new initiatives have been requested and proposed by members. I
    have not yet seen much (if any) evidence of Cilip responding to the lead
    that members have proposed. Some ideas may ! well have been taken-up by senior
    management, however that is no more evidence of Cilip being a member led
    organisation than it is of one where the senior management being bereft of
    positive ideas themselves have used the membership to achieve this.

    Perhaps, if indeed Cilip is a member led organisation, someone can let this
    individual (who is proud to be a member) know the following...
    1 - How many proposals/initiatives have been put to Cilip from the grass
    roots level (over say) the last 5 years?
    2 - How many proposals/initiatives in total Cilip have actually introduced
    over that time frame?
    3 - what percentage of those proposals/initiatives that have been introduced
    were generated at the grass roots level?
    It may be that Cilip does not keep a record of such things, but then that in
    itself is evidence that Cilip does not consider proposals from it's members
    as worthy of noting, let alone acting on.

    It may indeed be a laudable aim ! to have Cilip as a truly member run
    professional body but as things stand at the moment that simply is not the
    case in reality as far as I have seen.

    Bert Washington.