Frankly, I can't understand this resistance to behaving like a trade union on the part of elected officials. I know from experience with Unison that working through extant unions is ineffective -  they are amorphous and have no specific interest in promoting the professional interests (of which higher salaries etc. are integral) of librarians.

K M C O'Sullivan
Canterbury Cathedral Library
-----Original Message-----
From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Burge Suzanne
Sent: 04 November 2004 16:29
To: [log in to unmask]

No, there isn’t a trade union for librarians.  Why not, because trade unions are employer-based, and librarians are employed in an enormously wide number of bodies.  An organisation like the BMA can function as a trade union and as a professional body because the overwhelming majority of doctors are employed (in the broadest sense of the term) by a single employer, the NHS, and the NHS recognises its right to negotiate for them.  Even if CILIP wanted to function as a trade union, and I don’t think for a moment that it should, it would have to gain recognition from this multitude of employers before it could start – and why should employers recognise a body that can only represent a small proportion of its employees?  It would be a crazy waste of both the employer’s and CILIP’s resources, and totally again the current trend for single union deals.

The sensible thing to do is to join the appropriate trade union for your sector, and then work within it to ensure that it represents your interests, just as you would within CILIP.  A number of unions, my own included, have structures which represent specific sectors or professions.  Those groups can liaise with CILIP to ensure that when the union, the recognised negotiating body, is talking to employers, it can draw on CILIP’s advice as needed.  You need your professional body and your trade union (and if it’s a good union it can your professional subs paid for you – mine does.)

Suzanne Burge
National Councillor

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and

they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, the E-

mail and any files have been transmitted to you in error and any

copying, distribution or other use of the information contained in

them is strictly prohibited.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they have been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the IT Manager, Dean & Chapter, Canterbury Cathedral on [log in to unmask] quoting the name of the sender and the addressee and then deleting the email from your system. Please Note: The contents of any attachment to this e-mail may contain viruses which could damage your computer system. While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.