Apologies if I am repeating anything- I haven't been able to get the
time to read all the messages

Thinking about a wider list of things that would help make a difference,
for me at least:

Continue the improvements in the Gazette (well done on the work on that
to the editor)

1. Specific employment advice/representation (as in Phillipa's message)
I really miss that service too, and was really surprised to hear that it
wasn't offered. Surely it should be a key service? 'Traditional'
organisations like the Rcn and BMA have it.

2. Cheaper editions of the books (how about doing them in paperback with
less glossy paper, for a start?)

3. Remote LISA access- agreed ages ago (tho only 5 years worth) but
still not available. And no, its not the same asking CILIP staff to do
it- none of the flexibility of refining your search, or browsing
results. It's a bit ironic that this is an organisation of LIS staff,
surely the most likely to do our own searching! When last heard (months
ago) there was some issue of migrating the membership database. But
surely there could be something basic like Athens and our membership
nos?

4. A commitment to all levels of CILIP staff giving a reasonable reply
to enquiries within (say) 10 working days (and that not just being
'thank you for your email we are looking into it'). If someone is on
leave/off sick, then a colleague should deal with the enquiry.

I have also had to wait several weeks to get a reply to queries I
emailed to more senior levels of CILIP staff
 (the direct info service was fine),and have recently heard of a
colleague who had the same problem. Which is actually very dismissive of
members; do we matter so little to our membership organisation?! As well
as a poor service in general: the places I have worked had a deadline of
replying to public enquiries of 10 days at the longest.

And that wasn't a membership organisation responding to its members- who
should be providing a better service!

5. Key points from CILIP courses in Gazette. They are often on just the
really important practical issues we face a lot. The courses are too
expensive for my organisation, as well as the problems escaping the
office. They are also in London (may occasionally be elsewhere- I don't
know- but definitely not in a whole range of places)And/or such info on
the CILIP website. It might actually increase the numbers attending the
courses, as there would inevitably be more info you could get at a
course, and this could whet the appetite.

6. Free online CPD, perhaps following the model of what the NHS
organised for its LIS staff- 'FOLIO' courses on topics such as
evaluating your service (see http://www.nelh.nhs.uk/folio/complete.htm)
Or other unique info resources

7. Continue the practice of this year and always have postal/online
ballots on anything crucial, not just AGM votes (how many of us in work
can get a day off and be in London?) Little cost to CILIP- just need to
send them out with the newsletter.

(Personally, I also think that retired people very much have the right
to cheap membership, if they want it, but should not have a vote on
CILIP policy.)

Fiona McLean
Library and Information Service Manager
CancerBACUP
3 Bath Place, Rivington Street
London EC2A 3JR

Tel 020 7920 7241 Fax 020 7696 9002
Email: [log in to unmask]

Free UK helpline: 0808 800 1234 (English + translation service).
Website: http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/

Charity Registration no: 1019719; Company no: 2803321
addressed,and should be treated by the recipient accordingly. If you are
not the intended recipient please notify me immediately.  You should not
copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other
person.