From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bing, Pamela
Sent: 27 October 2004 11:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Young librarians

Please can someone show me a qualified librarian post paying more that £20K.

I have an undergraduate degree, and a postgraduate qualification and I have been working for a university for 2 years.  I still
earn less than £20K, and don't expect to reach these dizzy heights for another couple of years.

A simple search on LisJobnet would reveal to any potential librarians that the profession is not well paid.....and that the
professional body is willing to let this be the case.

I have just been through the rigmarole of chartership, and while I think it was a worthwhile excercise for my personal development
I am seriously considering both my future in the profession and whether I wish to continue being a member of CILIP.  I am worth
more.

Pam