From: "Frances Hendrix" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: Personal statement from CILIP Councillor Tony McSean supporting
the subscriptions reform proposals

Tony makes some good arguments for the case. However what concerns me (and I
have not made a decision yet on where I stand, and had always been in favour
of paying more as I earned more), is that because of what appears to be
bureaucratic inefficiency and bad timing and the administrative overlay
being too costly to be efficient and actually accidentally 'losing'  members
year on year, more income is needed. Can this possibly be the case, and if
it is why isn't it being addressed.

One major concern many members appear to have is what they get for their
sub, and again some simply clear statement about the true value of
membership, needs to be addressed. A major concerns over the years is Cilips
lack of support and action on incredibly low paid jobs being advertised, and
jobs being advertised requiring the skills of the professional librarians
but not supporting the case for employing one, and yet Cilip does take the
fee for these advertisements and therefore supports the practice.

To gain members support nothing makes more impact than not just publishing
salary surveys, but actually trying to fight for better salaries and
benefits?

The BMA has a much higher profile, and is involved often in a very public
way in support of a range of activities for their members, and seem to have
a more 'legalistic' role. Maybe a comparison of the percentage the BMA sub
is in comparison with BMA members income, and the package of support
provided under that fee., for instance is professional legal advise and
indemnity covered, would be useful? I have heard of Cilip members who have
been very badly treated by employers and Cilip has not risen to the occasion
and gone out on a limb to support a member?

Frances