<snip>

> Could it be to do with the use to which researched information is put?
>
> Generally speaking, I imagine that those researchers within the
> academic world use their research for the benefit of others, not least
> students.
>
> Whereas the commercial exploitation of researched information may only
> benefit a minority.
>
> Just a magnanimous thought after a pleasant Sunday dinner.
>
> John
>
> C John Hughes BA MCLIP LIAV MInstLM
> External Assessor
> External Verifier
> IAV-registered NVQ Assessor
> Chartered Library and Information Professional
>
> Tel: 01452 417865
> mobile: 07986 506 404

Bit of a broad generalisation there, I would have thought (2 actually). To
assume that academic researchers have only non-commercial motives at heart
is (IMO) rather naive, and to say that commercial research only benefits a
minority is curious. Actually I would reverse those generalisations
entirely (if I was going to make them): academic research benefits only am
minority (staff and, possibly, students), whereas commercial research
benefits society as a whole more immediately and more directly.

I don't think that use really has anything to do with it

Best wishes
Alan Pritchard
The GLOBAL GAZETTEER™: the world on file
http://www.allm-geodata.com
Tel: +44 (0) 1202 417 477