Make a Noise in Libraries Week - 19 to 25 July 2004

To celebrate this year's Make a Noise in Libraries Week, the National Library for the Blind (NLB) have revealed the top ten most annoying noises as voted for by Britain's librarians!

In Make a Noise in Libraries Week, NLB encourages its members and visually impaired people across the UK to make a noise about the services they want from their local public library.

Top of the Annoying Noises list are mobile phone tunes closely followed by people playing their music too loudly and people discussing personal issues in public. The full list follows:

1       mobile phone tunes
2       people playing their music too loudly
3       people discussing personal issues in public
4       second hand music from next door
5       small children screaming
6       car/house alarms
7       revving engines
8       dogs barking
9       sniffing
10      giggling

Announcing the results, NLB's Chief Executive, Helen Brazier commented "I think the librarians had fun taking part in the survey.  We all have noises we love to hate - especially those of us for whom our hearing is especially vital because of sight problems."

Helen explained "the key aim of Make a Noise in Libraries Week is to encourage visually impaired people to visit their local library and find out what is available. Library services will only improve if visually impaired people show there is a demand for them."

This year, more libraries than ever are involved. Activities in libraries include childrens' storytelling sessions, the installation of new access technology and the launch of new reading groups.

NLB staff are delivering reader development activities at libraries across the country and are supporting other events by providing libraries with themed booklists, posters and bookmarks.  Further information is online at www.nlb-online.org/campaigns <http://www.nlb-online.org/campaigns>.

Pat Beech
Library & Information Services Director
National Library for the Blind
Far Cromwell Road
Bredbury
Stockport
SK6 2SG
Tel: 0161 355 2005
Fax: 0161 355 2098
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.nlbuk.org

Notice Confidentiality
The information contained in this email may be privileged and is intended for the use of the individual or organisation named.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this emails content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

NLB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
represent those of NLB.

NLB Registered Charity Number: 213212
Website: http://www.nlb-online.org
National Library For The Blind corporate logo The online gateway to hundreds of accessible websites.