LIS GazetteI thought exactly the same. I am sure it was meant to be amusing and showing how modern thinking they were. But the other question I had was why on earth it was always a woman that people use when they have this out dated image of the library profession! Sexist as well! (and always a white woman)! As commissioners of advertising material etc the authorities should insist on cultural diversity being properly represented in their ads, and Cilip showily have some standards on what they allow to be represented on their pages.
And finally, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hixon, Beverley C
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 10:32 AM
  Subject: LIS Gazette

  Something that struck me forcibly about LIS Gazette was that the very first job ad. showed the stereotypical image of a sour-faced woman librarian saying ssssh.

  The ad copy was all about how Staffordshire libraries are so forward-looking they wouldn't employ this person. The sub-text is that of course every other library service in the country is full of people like this. And in any case it's the image that makes the instant impression.

  I know it's probably written by an agency and it's supposed to be humorous but how can we show so little respect for our own profession?

  Beverley Hixon

  Campus Library Supervisor
  Michael Way Library
  Imperial College