Something that struck me forcibly about LIS Gazette was that the very first job ad. showed the stereotypical image of a sour-faced woman librarian saying ssssh.

The ad copy was all about how Staffordshire libraries are so forward-looking they wouldn't employ this person. The sub-text is that of course every other library service in the country is full of people like this. And in any case it's the image that makes the instant impression.

I know it's probably written by an agency and it's supposed to be humorous but how can we show so little respect for our own profession?

Beverley Hixon

Campus Library Supervisor
Michael Way Library
Imperial College