Maybe you would have a problem if you were conversant with the atmosphere in this country.

Mike Morris, Librarian, ISCA

51 Banbury Rd., Oxford OX2 6PE 01865 274671

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Humphrey
Sent: 19 May 2004 13:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ID Cards, the National Identity Register and Data Protection

I agree with Geraint. Here in the Netherlands (supposedly a liberal country) everyone is obliged to carry ID cards. I can't understand the fuss that is being made in the UK, but then I have been out of the country for 12 years and have lost some of my island mentality.
I have absolutely no problem with being required to have my card with me at all times. I would also have no problem with being asked by a policeman to produce an ID card as being a law-abiding citizen I would have nothing to hide.

Sarah Humphrey, Documentalist
Director General's Cabinet, Records Management/DG-CR
European Space Agency
European Space Research and Technology Centre
Noordwijk, Netherlands

T +31 (0) 71 565 3018
F +31 (0) 71 565 5344
E [log in to unmask]
W www.esa.int

"jones, geraint" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Chartered Library and Information Professionals <[log in to unmask]>

19/05/2004 13:57
Please respond to Chartered Library and Information Professionals