________________________________

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JACKIE FISHLEIGH
Sent: 07 May 2004 12:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The Lords on Libri

Many thanks for posting that. The debate makes an interesting read.

I read a lot of autobiographies and am struck by how often the local
library is mentioned as an important influence on the subject's
intellectual development. In the recent edition of the South Bank Show,
looking at the career of Jeanette Winterson she regards Accrington
Public Library as a pivotal part of her upbringing.

I think it is a real shame that there is a trend for knowledge,
information and learning not to be valued in the way that they should be
and perhaps used to be. It is a pity that President Clinton who was an
intellectual, respected around the world despite coming from a humble
background, has been replaced by a man who although the son of a
previous President with all the privileges and advantages that bestowed,
appears to prize his ignorance as a vote winning " I'm just a geezer
like you" asset. Without getting too political he might have pondered a
little more before he invaded Iraq if he was more widely travelled and
had a better grasp of other cultures.

Apparently this report is based on a study of one library service in
Hampshire and secondly, statistics from the Audit Commission that are
two years out of date. I think that reinforces my point that knowledge,
information and learning are not valued enough. Why not delve a little
deeper than what goes on in Hampshire??!!  Why not get hold of some
up-to-date statistics??!! And why not think a little more about the
damage which could be caused by rubbishing what is an important part of
British life.

Jackie Fishleigh