Final Reminder: Could anyone interested in attending the meeting on 11th May
please contact me to make a booking by Friday 7th May at the latest. There
are a few places still available.

Reading, writing and resources: what role for academic librarians in
encouraging their effective use? Kimberlin Library, De Montfort University
Leicester 11 May 2004, 12.30 - 4.30 p.m.

We pay a lot of attention to acquiring and facilitating access to academic
resources, but how can library and information services staff encourage and
support their effective use?  In particular, what role could we or do we
play in developing reading and analysis skills, especially getting students
to use journals?

Rather than focusing on the practicalities of teaching, this meeting will
consider how use of resources can be integrated into student learning by
academics, librarians or in partnership.  Each speaker will offer a
different perspective on the topic, based on their current practical
experience.  Participants will have the opportunity to exchange experience
and identify issues for improvement and further research.

Speakers are:

Judith Keene, University College Worcester on a collaborative approach to
encourage reading Ruth Stubbings, Academic Services Manager, Loughborough
University Library on strategies to deter plagiarism and encourage effective
academic practice Hulya Oztel, Teacher Fellow from the Faculty of Business
and Law at De Montfort University on using reading cards

The presentations will be followed by a workshop on best practice in
developing reading skills and use of resources

Course fee includes lunch and refreshments.

The meeting will be preceded by the UC&R East Midlands Annual General
Meeting.

The venue

The meeting will be held in the Lecture room on level 1 of the Kimberlin
Library, De Montfort University, Leicester. There is full disabled access to
the building.

The University is located on the edge of Leicester city centre, close to
main roads, with easy access to the M1 and M69. It is a 15 minute walk to
the rail and bus stations. Public car parks are located a few minutes walk
away.

A campus map is available from:
http://www.dmu.ac.uk/Visitor/Access/leicester.html
<http://www.dmu.ac.uk/Visitor/Access/leicester.html>

Booking form

Delete where appropriate:

Please reserve ___ place(s) for the "Reading, writing and resources"
meeting. (If booking for a group, please enclose delegate names and CILIP
membership numbers)

I enclose payment of £20+VAT (CILIP individual member rate)/£26+VAT
(institutional and non-member rate)/ £5+VAT (students/unwaged).  Cheques
made payable to CILIP, University College & Research Group, East Midlands
Section

Please invoice me/my institution for £20+VAT (CILIP individual member rate)/
£26 +VAT(CILIP institutional or non-member rate/£5+VAT (students/unwaged)

Do you require an additional map and directions? (Y / N)

Cancellations with less than 5 working days notice will be liable for the
full payment.

Name

Address

Telephone

Email address

CILIP Membership number (please state whether individual or institutional)

Send bookings to:

Rebecca Jones

Kimberlin Library

De Montfort University