________________________________

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Benjamin
Sent: 03 May 2004 18:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Press Release from the Laser Foundation - 'Who's in
Charge?'

Frances

Sorry, I may have misunderstood - but are you seriously suggesting that,
if only in staffing terms, we should be more like McDonalds?   Have you
not heard the derisive term "McJobs" to imply underpaid and unmotivated
posts?

More seriously, some authorities currently have barely enough staff to
keep the branch network open and not enough to keep the mobiles on the
road.   I currently provide two thirds of the professional cover for the
entire west of Northumberland and our senior management team, with
responsibility for arts and heritage in addition to 38 brances and
mobiles, consists of 3 - efficient enough, I would think, for even Laser
and Tim Coates.   Not, however, a model that I would think of
recommending to anybody and certainly not one that will allow
developments such as extending opening hours - however much we might
wish to do so.

Mark Benjamin
9 Hencotes,
Hexham