Yes I agree, but there does need to be a rationalisation of what
buildings we have where (many librarians would close some if the
'politicians' didn't interfere). Communities change, needs change, we
need a more flexible approach to moving sites and buildings. Virtual
will be a part of future services, but of course we will always need
staff. But it is rather like opening hours, we may open libraries late,
but are they the right hours, do we need to be open all day in some
locations, what about quick service, drive in etc, we need a new look at
how we reduce overheads and maintain the sort of service users, but also
potential users , need in the 21st Century.

Having a lot of staff if they are not customer focused (and I am not
implying here current staff are not), is not the answer., you know the
posh departmental stores, where glamorous staff hang around doing
nothing, that isn't the answer, but there may be a point in some self
issuing, not sending overdoes, not charging fines unless there is a real
surplus on the activity, and so on.

I am not sure either that we should assume that non qualified staff
means cheaper staff., what we need are salaries related to the work that
people do, and benchmarked to other similar work. Does anyone do bench
marking on library work?

I also agree that a direct comparison with book shops has its dangers
and is not entirely relevant, as the common factor is books, but
bookshops are not (well some are aren't they), depositories for out of
print etc., but they have drummed up a huge market over the last 20
years by allowing browsing, coffee, display etc, but of course the key
thing for them is the profit. BUT libraries can take leaves out of their
books (sorry about the pun), in where to be situated, how to display, we
should clean our returned books, keep the stock fresh and continuously
re present etc, more comfortable surroundings etc. It is a big debate we
need to engage with, including what is it we should be doing in the next
120 years plus to grow our market share, use our funds more effectively,
and grow the business.

I know there are some super examples, and these new bright libraries
have increased numbers of users, but the overall picture is nothing like
as good, and we should be a bit like Pizza Land or MacDonald's, but ONLY
in ONE respect, i.e. wherever you use the service you should have the
same quality and level of service. How can we achieve that?