Message
Further to my earlier message, here is a good crit by Fred Friend, which gives some background. (for background to the whole debate, see my postings on CILIP on 11 January)

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">"FrederickFriend"
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Alice COLBAN (7257) ; [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 3:34 PM
Subject: Critique of Government Response HC 1200

Please find attached a document you may find useful in discussing the Government Response to the "Free for all?" Report from the Science and Technology Committee. Please note that I am NOT writing on behalf of JISC. I have given my UCL title on the document. And please copy this document to anybody you wish within your institution.

Ian Gibson rightly said that the library community has the power to influence the outcome of the current debate on scientific publishing. As an illustration of the influence of librarians, I give you the example of Italy, where one-to-one discussions by librarians across Italy has led to a commitment for open access from the Rectors or Rectors' representatives from 32 Italian universities. Traditionally Italian librarians have not had either the influence or the cohesiveness of the UK library community so if they can do it ......!

There are two communities to lobby and the new CURL/SCONUL Joint Schol Comms Group is hoping to produce advocacy documents you may use as required. Two communities to lobby are your local MPs - particularly when we know the date for the Parliamentary Debate - and your VC, Director of Research, Deans etc. The RCUK is currently finalising its new publications policy, so if you know anybody influential in one of the Research Councils, please get them to support the deposit of research articles in repositories and/or the use of research grants for publication in open access journals.

Change in scholarly communication will be good for all UK universities and colleges: please support it and counter the Government Response, which was heavily influenced by officials in the DTI Publishing Unit.

Fred Friend

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J. Friend
OSI Open Access Advocate
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail [log in to unmask]
Mail address: The Chimes, Cryers Hill Road,
High Wycombe, England HP15 6JS
Telephone +44 1494 563168 or  +44 7747 627738 (mobile)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx