I've just remembered that Hampshire County Council is responsible for Hatrics. Perhaps this could be relevant to admin costs although there is no justification for an interlending network not to be cost-effective.

Ed Cole <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
By accident I tuned into BBC Radio 4 and heard Lord McIntosh's good response!  I doubt whether there is anyone more critical than myself of public libraries but in these situations I always suspect that the authors of such reports are clueless or being paid by a particular group e.g.I was not impressed with the document produced by the Demos group.

"Hanstock, Terry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

(Apologies for cross posting)

There was a short debate on the Libri Report in the House of Lords yesterday which included the following comment from Lord McIntosh:

      C My Lords, I would prefer to call my meeting in June a seminar rather than a summit. I think that summit is a bit grand. I will not call chief executives and leaders of councils to book; I will invite them to be present, which I think is more constructive. I will also invite Tim Coates, the author of the Libri report, and he will have an opportunity to defend his statements about the decline of libraries, some of which I have a good deal of doubt about.

The full text is here:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/pdvn/lds04/text/40506-01.htm#40506-01_star0

Terry Hanstock

Nottingham Trent University