Now that the discussion on flat rate subs seems to have run its course, it
strikes me that many of the questions raised on this list and elsewhere
should be asked at any time about what CILIP should be doing with our
money, what are its priorities,  and don't need to be sparked off by a
proposed change in subscriptions.  And given that we are a 'member led'
institution, a little more leadership from the bottom is needed.  And we
have the means, for each of us is a member of a Branch which has a CILIP
Councillor and most of us of two or more special interest groups, each
with a Councillor and there are nationally elected Councillors.

On the CILIP website there are the names of Councillors and of the
Committees of Branches and Groups with addresses and in many cases email
addresses, all indicating where leadership from the bottom can start
(you'll find me as a member of the Committee of the newly formed Cilip in
London).  Ask them questions and tell them about your CILIP worries and
joys.

And at our professional election times an improvement in the percentage of
members voting (it's usually in the very low double figures) is another
opportunity for leading from the bottom.  It's not a member led
institution if members fail to lead.

Edward Dudley