-----Original Message-----
From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Jackson
Sent: 16 January 2004 13:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LIS gazette: Watson

What suprises me about this list is that we can, in a
morning, generate dozens of emails about such tired old
ideas of what is a librarian worth. And yet now is the very
time when CILIP is offering a huge change in Qualifications
and Certification, which will alter the way membership of
the organisation is organised, and recognised with
Chartership and Fellowship.
See http://www.cilip.org.uk/qualifications/framework.html
Of course CILIP is an membership organisation, its members
fill posts on local Branches and Groups, and its governing
body, we also employ people in Ridgmount Street to carry
out various jobs for us. I would suggest that if you are
not happy with what CILIP does or does not do, you make
your views known via these officers. Even better to stand
for election yourself for posts on these committees, and
make the changes happon yourself.
Perhaps if we can show we can organise ourselves,
employers might be more impressed by our skills.

----------------------
Jim Jackson
C/O The Law Library
University of Exeter
Rennes Drive             Tel:44(0) 1392 263356
Exeter.
EX4 4RJ                  Fax:44(0) 1392 263196

Any Opinions expressed in this message are my own,
and not those of the University of Exeter. They do not form any
statement
by the University of Exeter or any other member there of.