Having reviewed the arguments, I think that flat fee or graduated is very
much not a red herring. I bet most CILIP members are on lower salaries, and
if they are to be expected to pay the same amount as people on higher
salaries then that would count as unjust to me. Think about a flat-rate
income tax.

LIke many of us I have spent almost a working a life on very much not 20K,
working with people who get very much not 20K and serving people who bring
up families on very much not 20K. I would like more, and I have the tastes
to prove it, but no professional organisation for people like me should
base its fees on what higher-paid people would like to pay. Try asking what
lower-paid people would like to pay. I could reduce my sub by several
decimal places, and I've already been tempted. Others have dropped
membership altogether.

Alan Sandham, Delivered Services Librarian, Middlesbrough Council Libraries
and Information

Diana Nutting <[log in to unmask]>@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on 27/10/2004
09:59:40

Please respond to Chartered Library and Information Professionals

Sent by:    Chartered Library and Information Professionals