A couple of comments about CILIP and London, if I may.  From a personal
perspective working in both Scotland and Plymouth and thus about as far away
from London as can be managed, London is far more easily accessible than
anywhere in the Centre of England.  The rail fare to Birmingham (which is
nearer than London) is over 25% more expensive and the journey takes longer.
Public transport to the east of the country, other than London, is abysmal
and driving to Loughborough, for example, was over 12 hours for the return
journey.  The cost of flights may have reduced, but certainly the air fare
from Glasgow to New York was slightly lower than to Birmingham.

I am sure that  the Training Department is perfectly capable of speaking for
itself, but it will put on courses in any part of the country if you can
guarantee the numbers.  Branches and Groups do deliver courses and
conferences throughout the country and the flagship conference, Umbrella,
has never been held in London.

As someone who has described the organization as the Chartered Institute of
London Information Professionals, I still feel that it is frequently too
London-centric, but it has the highest proportion of members and is far more
accessible than anywhere else in the country.

--
Alasdair MacNaughtan
City Librarian,

Visit us on the web:   www.plymouthlibraries.info

***The opinions expressed in this e-mail are personal and are not
necessarily the views of Plymouth City Council***