Thanks Gerardine. Yours is the sole response on both Plus-General and
LIS-CILIP. I was beginning to wonder.

I sympathise on the matter of expense. Our equipment grew as we needed it.
I have a CDRom drive on my staff PC ( which is how I came to be tester ),
the department bought a cheap music centre when we started to buy CDs, and
a Playstation console for the same reason. We had a combined tv/video for
staff training. And our media supplier gave us a simple DVD player for
buying a lot of stuff. I've put it to good use. I also use it to test
Spoken Word on CD. (Very good for VIP readers because of the large display
on the tv screen).

I do the testing alongside my other work, so it doesn't add much to the
working day, although I logged the equivalent of 47 days 2003-4 ( 30 days
2002-3). Playstation games are the only thing you can't do at the same time
as anything else. But then I couldn't afford to spend the same time as do
the players. Nor would I want to. If it works I pass it as ok.

I also ferret away the undamaged cassettes etc for cannibalisation, so the
centralisation of the process has a another purpose...

I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a machine that
will play everything, given the variations I get in my results, and that an
expensive machine can fail when a cheap one won't, but the cheaper the
DVD/CD the more likely you are to have trouble.

Alan Sandham, Delivered Services Librarian

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any one or make copies.

** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **