From: Smith, Simon - A&L [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 May 2004 10:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'Who's in Charge?'

Yes...I have heard of virtual services - very little mention of them in the
report though, so has Mr Coates? One of the reasons for fewer visits to
libraries is that you can email/telephone in requests and queries and you
can renew your books online in the majority of cases.

I realise that this doesn't in itself account for all of the reduction in
visitor numbers, but a significant percentage of visits that used to be made
for this reason now no longer have to be - so aren't recorded in the figures
quoted.

The article in the Observer will have alerted more people to the report and
provoked a greater awareness of the issues, it was quite disappointing and
one-sided, but it really does make you realise what has to be done if
someone like Will Hutton in a publication such as The Observer (I think I
was expecting a bit of support!) seems to be preparing for this precipitous
decline.

I think that there are societal reasons why libraries are not used as once
they were, and whilst that isn't an excuse to keep going and getting smaller
every year, it is something that seems to have been completely overlooked.
More books are published every year, average prices of books are falling so
are more affordable, people like creating their own libraries that are
exclusively 'theirs' and, a key point, there is much greater awareness of
books, due to the Internet, newspaper and magazine reviews. I'm sure I'm not
alone in now being presented with lists of ISBNs that someone wants to check
whether we have...greater information to users means increased awareness of
just what is out there. It's not exclusively down to how libraries are
funded and managed - this is how it has been portrayed.

We have library users coming in and discussing the report with us now the
Libri report has raised awareness and a level of concern in exactly what's
going on: although people are making supportive and non-supportive noises re
the report it must be said.

Just my own thoughts etc...we should enjoy the spotlight, and make use of
it! Regardless of what it said in the paper - the byline : "Public libraries
need to be properly managed, by people committed to the idea of public value
- or they will die" This interestingly doesn't mention that 'they mainly
need people coming through the doors' (hence the need for marketing) but I'm
sure we can all agree on the sentiment.

Simon (Reading).

ps : the article
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,1207975,00.html :
interesting that it's easy to use Amazon but not your local library
catalogue...